Hi,

many thanks for all your advices!

Indeed, it was a IRQ problem, which was solved automatically when I plugged in the terratec Xfire soundcard from my old PC. The BIOS reassigned the IRQs and now the onboard sound works, too.

What I've tested so far:
* aplay works

* ac3dec works perfectly with 4 channel output. With 6 channel output, the sound of all 6 channels gets chopped, sounds like staccato...

* xine (the version from mandrake9.2) writes a core dump and dies with some message about not being able to find a volume control.

* changing the volume does NOT work (always max volume). I think I've read about this behavior for this cmedia codec before (IIRC volume changes must be done in software). Until this has happened, the onboard sound isn't of very much use for me. I could connect it to a preamp or some potentiometers...let's see, I'll have to do some more tests (jack, mplayer, aoss,...).
thanks!
fe

Andrew Burgess wrote:

have you tried enabling the kernel build options 'IO-APIC support on
uniprocessors' and 'Local APIC Support on Uniprocessors' yet (provided
your box does ACPI; probably so since you say it is a recent design)?

Good advice.

Also try changing BIOS setting related to interrupts, mine has a
selection 'assign pci interrupts' or something like that.

unfortunately, this asrock board is a very cheap board. No possibility to assign IRQs by hand...

HTH

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: SF.net Giveback Program. Does SourceForge.net help you be more productive? Does it help you create better code? SHARE THE LOVE, and help us help YOU! Click Here: http://sourceforge.net/donate/ _______________________________________________ Alsa-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-devel