Hi,
  I have that odd version one (as i read Richard Chan have that one too)

  cat /proc/asound/cards
  0 [rev60  ]: VIA8233 - VIA 823x rev60
               VIA 823x rev60 at 0xe800, irq 7

  When I play quake3 everything is ok until game will play any music.
  After that it soft-freeze (I hear repeating sound, but i can change
  console and anything other works)

  And this is only the case. (I deleted music from data files, and
  everything works (without music of course))

  I use enable/direct options in pcm plugin (it is required to run the
  game)

  last lines of strace looks like:
     gettimeofday({1070667266, 963956}, NULL) = 0
  and after hang it stops too.

  And i have simple question... since ACL655 is 48000 only (am i right?)
  so the resample work is up to dirver ??? I ask because i can aplay any
  .wav and it sounds good, but when mplayer opens alsa (eg for 22050),
  alsa works like 48000 (and i hear faster(higher) sound, faster movies
  and so on). Only solution for that is srate 48000 (mplayer will
  resample by himself)

Is this an alsa or mplayer bug ? = driver resamples/aplay resamples ?

thx for any info, and thanks for dxs support (i use this to hear music
while i play, simple script and aplay plays quake's music :),
Pawel Rozanski

Ps. I doubt if Richard Chan plays games, but maybe he can confim my problem)