On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Maik Broemme wrote:

> Hi,
>
> today i got some problems with the dmix pcm plugin, i start one
> mpg123 as root and later i want to start as normal user alsaplayer
> to test something. I got permission denied error, because the socket
> is only writable from the user who has created it. I have made a
> little patch which implements a new config entry for the socket
> permissions. For example:
>
> pcm.softmix {
>         type dmix
>         ipc_key 1024
>         ipc_perm 666
> }
>
> If you are interested in i could do this for all pcm plugins which
> creates a socket, also i could implement another entry like
> ipc_group = "audio"; no problem i think with getgrgid(); Another
> thing which is changed now; the default file permissions if no
> ipc_perm entry in the config file exists, is 0644, i think there
> is no need to have 755 for the socket :)

I changed the default permissions to 0600 to provide better security.
Your code is in CVS (with modifications for dsnoop and dmix plugins).

The 'ipc_group' option might be also useable, so if you find a bit of
time, I like to see it in alsa-lib.

                                        Thanks,

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs