Denis de Leeuw Duarte wrote:
> I'm starting work on a new midi sequencing app, but I'm a bit confused by
> the different API options ALSA offers. I've been reading whatever snippets
> I can find on the web, mostly mailing list archives, and if I understand
> correctly my options are basically the rawmidi API and the alsa sequencer
> API. With the former I must handle all timing myself in user space and
> with the latter this is all done by ALSA, is that a correct description?

Yes. And the sequencer can connect/route between ports, and supports
ports handled by userspace apps.  The user of your sequencer won't be
happy if it's restricted to rawmidi ports.

> My question is: if my first priority is to have stable, reliable timing
> and performance, which API should I choose, taking the current state of
> the alsa sequencer code into consideration?

The current state of the sequencer _code_ is just fine.  It's the
documentation you'll have problems with (but the rawmidi docs aren't
better).

HTH
Clemens