Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
Hello,

we discovered your notes about ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) on your web pages:

http://www.transgaming.com/showthread.php?news=98

Please, let me comment ALSA issues. Perhaps, your development people should contact us directly before making such bad assumptions.

ALSA, of particular interest to TransGaming's Linux audience, does not
provide much of an added benefit over OSS. The primary speed advantage,
hardware mixing, a slower kludgy implementation use due to the fact that
looping sound doesn't appear to be supported; although full duplex

What's looping sound? You can initiate endless ring buffer looping when
you set stop_threshold to boundary (sw_params). I think that this major drawback does not exist.

support should be easier to provide than with OSS. The major drawback of
ALSA is that its mmap interface is not compatible with what is required
for DirectSound unless undocumented interfaces are used. All in all it
appears that using ALSA would provide some speed advantages for newer
cards, but to be done properly would require a rewrite of the winealsa
driver. Thus we would suggest that, for the time being, people continue
to use the OSS emulation layer of ALSA with "MMap" = "Y" enabled in
their config file to get the best performance if it's supported on their
sound card.

We can do everything with our API like OSS and our API has many other extensions which OSS does not have.

Again, please, tell your developers that they are wrong and remove this paragraph from your pages, because this text hurt us.

                                                Jaroslav Kysela
                                                The ALSA project leader

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs

Jaroslav, wine's support for alsa has always been badly implemented. I have had to use wine's oss module linking to alsa emulation to get sound out. If someone from the wine project can educate me on the win32 sound api, I am sure I could get wine to support alsa properly.
Whether win32 needs mmap, callback model, and looping, alsa can be made to handle all these.
I will probably do it for wine instead of winex though, because I would want the resulting code to be free, and not cost money like winex does.

Cheers
James

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials. Become an expert in LINUX or just sharpen your skills. Sign up for IBM's Free Linux Tutorials. Learn everything from the bash shell to sys admin. Click now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1278&alloc_id=3371&op=click _______________________________________________ Alsa-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-devel