>yOn Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> >i've been getting my laptop with an ICH soundchip up to speed, and i
>> >just noticed for the first time yesterday that ALSA fails to get the
>> >speed to the rate that JACK requests. a quick google reveals that the
>> >OSS drivers only support 1 h/w rate, but there are suggestions that
>> >the ALSA driver works better. however, neither JACK nor alsaplayer can
>> >set the rate on my card to 44.1kHz - its stuck at 48kHz.
>> >
>> >this is alsa 1.0.0rc2 from Planet CCRMA. any clues?
>>
>> this is using the snd-intel8x0 module. the wiki page has alerted me to
>> the ac97_clock option, but it seems ludicrous to have to rmmod &&
>> modprobe the module just to switch rates ...
>
>The ac97_clock option is for situation when another master clock crystal
>than standard one is used by hardware vendor. You cannot change the real
>rate with this option.
>
>It seems that your AC97 codec does not support VRA (variable rate) so it
>is capable only 48kHz or we have a bug somewhere.
>
>Can you send me contents of /proc/asound/card0/codec97* files?

i am entirely willing to believe that it can only do 48kHz. its a
laptop (HP Pavilion), well known for having crapola audio interfaces
and relying on s/w to make things work. here's the codec97* file
(below).

meanwhile, i have found that the plughw layer doesn't work with JACK
anymore. it appears that any attempt to set the period size fails. any
ideas about that?

--p

0-0/0: Conexant id 30

Capabilities     : -reserved1- -headphone out-
DAC resolution   : 18-bit
ADC resolution   : 18-bit
3D enhancement   : No 3D Stereo Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=2 AMAP DSA=0 SPDIF
Extended status  : PRL PRK PRJ PRI SPCV SPDIF=7/8
SPDIF Control    : Consumer PCM Category=0x2 Generation=1 Rate=48kHz
Extended modem ID: codec=0 LIN1
Modem status     : PRA(GPIO)
Line1 rate       : 48000Hz
0:00 = 0152