Hi,

I have a problem with a new sound card based on Envy24HT, a Terratec Aureon
Sky, on both Mandrake 9.2/kernel 2.4 and cooker/kernel 2.6 (dev version). I
don't know if the problem is a Mandrake configuration issue or an alsa issue,
so I post on that list because it may interests you.

This card is supported by alsa drivers, modules are correctly loaded, there
are the alsa module and also the pcm-oss emulation module.
Strangely, applications configured to use the alsa output (xmms, xine,
mplayer) crash. For example, kaffeine -a alsa crashes with error message
"kaffeine: simple.c:1464: snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_volume: Assertion
`elem->type == SND_MIXER_ELEM_SIMPLE' failed." However, the sound works
correctly when using the oss output (it uses the oss emulation). (e.g.
kaffeine -a oss works).
Also, I have to set up the internal clock myself (but that's ok).

The same way, timidity reads correctly midi files, using the arts output.
However, I cannot get jackd working with alsa, thus rosegarden does not
detect any connected sound server.

My /etc/modules.conf contains :
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
above snd-ice1724 snd-pcm-oss
probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
options bttv radio=0 gbuffers=4

That is a big issue for me, my old Soundblaster Live was working correctly
using directly the alsa output.
Where should I look at first ? I have checked the documentation and played
with alsactl, but with no success. Is it an alsa problem (or limitation) or a
Mandrake configuration issue ?

Happy new year
Eric