Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:28:03 +0000,
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

I checked out a new anonymouse cvs of alsa-driver/alsa-kernel, applied your patch, and attach the output from doing modprobe snd-intel8x0.

I can only see printf's in the patch, so I don't see how it could have fixes the VRA.

no, it doesn't fix yet.

Feb  5 22:22:53 new kernel: determined VRA rates: 0xfe
Feb  5 22:22:53 new kernel: determined VRA rates: 0xfe
Feb  5 22:22:53 new kernel: determined SPDIF rates: 0xe0
Feb  5 22:22:53 new kernel: determined SDAC rates: 0x80
Feb  5 22:22:53 new kernel: determined LDAC rates: 0x80

here's the problem.  surround and LFE DAC sample rates are not
detected properly.
i don't figure out yet why...

does the attached patch have influence?  check the messages above.
(it doesn't contain the patch to ac97_pcm.c.  it's not needed now.)

Takashi

I checked out a new cvs of alsa-driver, alsa-kernel
Added your patch, and the rates are detected correctly now, and the rates change on the hardware correctly now.
Thanks

By looking at your code, it looks like you are making sure the rate for the Front, Surround and Center/LFE all change together, which seems to work, although, the alc650 datasheet spec does not seem to mention that this has to happen. Why have 3 ac97 registers, if they all have to change together?

Anyway, thanks for the fix.

Cheers
James