On Thu, Feb 19, 2004, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Since I moved from linux-2.6.2 to linux-2.6.3-rc2, and then 2.6.3, I am
> > experiencing a strange problem with all the GStreamer applications: as
> > soon as GStreamer tries to play out a sound, the system gets extremely
> > slow, and no sound comes out (although the GStreamer applications do not
> > complain and seem to be playing the sound find). I have only noticed
> > this behaviour with GStreamer, xmms, mpg321, VLC  etc. play sounds out,
> > but the sound suffers small interuptions now and then.
> >
> > I am using a nforce2 motherboard, and the snd_intel8x0 ALSA driver. I
> > saw the recent thread regarding this driver being broken in the 1.0
> > serie, so I apply the patch given in the thread, but still get my
> > problem.
>
> it likely has nothing to do with the problem of that thread.
> it seems that some nforce2 boards generate the unknown interrupts.
> i'm not sure whether it's in the ALSA side or in other kernel part.
> please try to copy the old ALSA tree from 2.6.2 to 2.6.3 (linux/sound
> and include/sound) and try the old driver on 2.6.3.

Going back to the old ALSA tree from 2.6.2 'solves' the problem. I am
not experiencing the gstreamer lock, nor the interuptions in other
programs' playout.

Regarding the nforce interupts problem you mention, I only get it when
APIC is turned on, which is not the case here.

Tell me if I can provide more information,
thanks,
--
Johan