Takashi Iwai [Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:43:17PM +0200]:
> > > there is no PCM volume on CM9739.  it has only PCM mute switch.
> > > you can mute on/off via 'M' key of alsamixer.
> >
> > Does that mean I have _no_ possibility to adjust the volume?
>
> right.  it doesn't support the PCM volume but you can basically adjust
> the master volume.

This doesn't affect the sound volume, tested it again some seconds ago.
Some weeks ago I even tried it with _every_ switch available.
I just can switch it on or off, but no volume adjusting.

And using master doesn't do anything at all.

Do you have any hint for me? Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

> > How do I find out if I got the CM9739? This is what lspci shows:
>
> you can see it in /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0.

For you information, perhaps you need it:

0-0/0: C-Media Electronics CMI9739

Capabilities     :
DAC resolution   : 16-bit
ADC resolution   : 16-bit
3D enhancement   : No 3D Stereo Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=1 LDAC SDAC CDAC DSA=0 SPDIF DRA
Extended status  : SPCV LDAC SDAC CDAC SPDIF=3/4 SPDIF
SPDIF Control    : Consumer PCM Category=0x2 Generation=1 Rate=48kHz

Have a nice day,

Nico

--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
pgp: 8D0E E27A          | Nico Schottelius