>When using OSS you can just do mixer ioctl's on the opened PCM fd.

When using OSS, you can't model a lot of the functionality present in
contemporary audio interface hardware mixers.

So there's a choice: a limited, simple API that fails to support card
features, or a complex API that over time gets a simpler version added
to it.

Right now, ALSA is following the second path, but is not very far
along the "simpler API" part of it.

>as possible. It should be constructed from user point of view.

What user? A programmer? A home theater owner who wants to move AC3
data from a DVD through their 5.1 system? A professional studio owner
with 48 channels of digital I/O? A game player? A web browser?

I think that *applications* needs to be designed from a user point of
view, not APIs. And APIs need to, in those famous words, "make easy
things easy, hard things simple and the impossible a little difficult".

>How easy is to use it and which functionality it gives us.

I have never been a big fan of the way that the ALSA API has turned
out, but as someone who has followed it all the way from 0.4 onwards,
I have to acknowledge that there are good reasons, mostly very good
reasons, for nearly every aspect of its design.

I wrote JACK to massively simplify the abstraction used by audio
applications, but it doesn't address the mixer situation.