i took a look at /proc, and everything seems ok:  cat /proc/ioports doesn't
show anything in the 0x500 range.

i've compiled and recompiled the kernel and alsa drivers something like 15
times now, and i'm really hitting a block.  anyone ever have this problem?
my 2.2.12-20 kernel sees it fine, i simply don't understand how the io port
could change its address with a different kernel.

(anyone know where i can find the 2.2.x LL rpms?
ftp://ftp.udoj.org/linux/RPMS/kernels/ seems to be down)

(i put my original message below)

thnx again
chris

> Have a look around cat /proc/*. There is lots of useful information
> about your hardware in that dir.
>

> --
> Patrick Shirkey - Manager Boost Hardware Limited.
>
> Http://www.boosthardware.com - For the discerning hardware connoisseur.
> http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/Linux_Audio_Users_Guide/

hi, i've just compiled and installed a 2.4.9 kernel with the low latency
patch, and am trying to get alsa sound to work.  alsa starts up fine (i get
the /proc/asound dir ok), but when i do a modprobe:

modprobe snd-card-cs4236 snd_port=0x534 snd_cport=0x120 snd_mpu_port=-1
snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_jport=-1 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=0 snd_dma1_size=NN
snd_dma2=1 snd_dma2_size=1

i get this message:

snd: CS4236+ chip detected, but control port 0x120 is not valid
snd: CS4236+ SOUNDCARD#1 not found at 0x534 or device busy
snd: CS4236+ SOUNDCARD#2 not found or device busy
/lib/modules/2.4.9/misc/snd-card-cs4236.o : insmod: no such device

i made sure to compile with sound card support, but no support for any
specific cards, nor OSS support.  i should say that my other kernel
(2.2.12-20) boots up and installs the soundcard fine.  i should also say
that i found when i first installed linux on this maching (RH6.1) that i had
to disable PnP since it conflicted with the sound modules.  also, i didn't
comile PnP support in the kernel nor the alsa drivers.

is there a way to tell if i've compiled the kernel in such a way that the
i/o addresses above were taken by something else?

any thoughts?

thnx,
chris deckard
saint louis