John Smith wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have an ALS4000 sound card. i have downloaded alsa-driver-0.5.11.tar.bz2
> which supports my soundcard. I looked at the INSTALL file which says "You must
> turn on sound support (soundcore module)". I have no idea how to do that?
>
> You help is very important since I am a newbie for linux.
>
> THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.

First check to see what modules you have installed.

modprobe -l

Here's the relevant part from my setup.

/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/sound/i810_audio.o
/lib/modules/2.4.7/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o

If you can see soundcore and another for your card then you don't have
to recompile you kernel. If not then you have to recompile your kernel.
If you haven't done it before then now is the time to learn. There is a
huge list of howtos that can tell you how but most newbies start out
with Joshs Linux guide

http://jgo.local.net/LinuxGuide/

If you do this then the most useful way is to make modules for your
cards oss driver. That way while you are learning the process of
installing alsa you can still have access to your soundcard. Once you
have alsa running you won't need to use them anymore.

If you have the modules already then you just need to follow the
instructions in the alsa-howto. There is a version in the LAU guide (see
below) or you can get to it from the alsa homepage.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Manager Boost Hardware
Limited.

Http://www.boosthardware.com - For the discerning hardware connoisseur.
http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/Linux_Audio_Users_Guide/