On 6 Oct 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<much trimmed>
> The following is logged in /var/log/messages:
>
>   Oct  6 17:57:16 kumara kernel: ALSA trident.c:3183: AC'97 codec ready error
>
> Any ideas?

Sounds like a variation on the problem I was having with the Trident
DX's AC'97 setup.  I had to comment out a check in the AC'97 setup to
get it to load, and a change was made to the CVS which corrected it
for the DX chips [thanks for that guys].

Try ignoring the not-ready error and see if everything else is okay.
(alsa-driver/lowlevel/pci/trident.c, comment out lines 3166 and 3167)

Just something for you to try while the real experts work it out :)

Mark