Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I get this in the syslog (dates snipped for clarity)
>>
>> kernel: snd: [0x240] ESS1869 chip found
>> kernel: snd: requested ports 0x0-0x7 busy
>> kernel: snd: ports (0x0-0x7) for ES18xx - CTRL are already used
>> kernel: snd: MAGIC==0x0: es18xx.c: 1115 [snd_es18xx_free]
>> kernel: snd: ESS AudioDrive ES18xx soundcard #1 not found at 0x240 or
>> device busy kernel: snd: ESS AudioDrive ES18xx soundcard #2 not found or
>> device busy

>Can you send me the contents of /proc/isapnp file?

I don't have a /proc/isapnp. I do have an /etc/isapnp.conf which was generated
by pnpdump, is that what you were looking for?

You can find the output of pnpdump here: http://www.carrott.org/isapnp.conf
The options I enabled are in my previous mail to this list.

Is there any other information I can give you?

I would have to say that there is something wrong with either the motherboard
chipset or the linux drivers for them, as I have to turn of IDE DMA to get a
SB16 to perform well (using the kernel drivers).

Is the ESS1869 inferior to the SB16? Why would IDE DMA affect the sound
performance? I'm guessing something is disabling the interupts for too long?
I don't know much about how sound cards work, but I assume they have buffers,
and if the buffer runs out before it is refilled (which is requested by
interupt) then you get skipping/distortion/slow sound?

--
Tom Parker - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           - http://www.carrott.org