Hi Christoph,

At Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:25:13 +0100 (CET),
Christoph Rieper wrote:

> Hi Takashi Iwai.
>
> This is a update of the last mail. After I had installed the driver (from CVS)
> by hand (not with the script) it worked. The script forgot to make the module.
> I don't know why.
>
> The SPDIF works too :)

Good to hear that!

> but i have a question: When does a application use the SPDIF output (I would
> need it for XMMS)?

Two possibilities:

- via the normal pcm device (hw:0,0):
  set up the correct parameters, 44100 or 48000 Hz, S16 LE 2 channels,
  then spdif will be turned on.  otherwise it's shut up.
  Usually OSS's /dev/dsp corresponds to this device.

- via the third pcm device (hw:0,2)
  this device accepts only the parameters like above and spdif is
  always turned on.
  when you access via alsa plugin layer (i.e. plughw:0,2), then the
  sample rate, format, and channels will be automatically converted
  inside alsa-lib.

Also, additinoally you'll need to turn on "IEC958 Output Switch".

ciao,

Takashi