It's not all obout ALSA drivers, but they are important part of this
story. So forgive me this long text, but I don't know what else I can
do. 1. Sound plays only when aRts sound serwer is running, so when I try
run program using directly OSS or ALSA it shows error. Here is example:
when I run OGLE DVD player it says that it can't open /dev/dsp. But when
I run OGLE with "artsdsp ogle" it works correctly. I've read that it's
better to play DVD's without aRts sound serwe, because it's better for
DVD performance. Another example: I run sndconfig, it detects my Sound
Blaster 16 ISA PnP, but when I press "OK" to play wav file it shows
error: can't open /dev/audio. No matter if aRts sound serwer is running
or not, effect is the same.
2. But even aRts sound serwer not always works perfectly. One time it
works perfectly, but another time there is no sound (but there is no
error, just only no sound). I don't why.
3. I've checked (in that time that aRts works fine) that when I choose
OSS audio output I can hear sound, but when I choose ALSA output, I
can't hear anything - but there isn't any errors.
4. So I checked that I have only /dev/sound (I think that it has a
connection with DevFS), but no /dev/audio, bo /dev/dsp etc.
5. Now I've found in some ALSA sources in directory with kernel sources
(I've downloaded (from Cooker) RPM package with 2.4.13 kernele sources
some time ago). I've compiled and installed it  - as it's
described in ALSA README and INSTALL docs.
But what I got:
1.) I ran './configure' script., with  --with-isapnp=yes switch.
2.) I did 'make install'.
3.) Next I typed ./snddevices script to create new sound devices in /dev
directory. But I didn't notice info, that: "Skip this step, if you have
a kernel with the DEVFS support" Maybe here I made errror, because
script made sound devices in /dev directory, but I have a kernel with
the DevFS support. So maybe changes made by ./snddevices script shuld be
deleted?
5) I edited my /etc/modules.conf:"
# ISA PnP config
options isapnp isapnp_reserve_irq=5
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-sb16
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss"

and devfsd.conf:

"LOOKUP snd MODLOAD ACTION snd
REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660
REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660".

And results are:
- script "alsasound stat" shows: "ALSA sound driver loaded";
- amixer shows, that there is no "ALSA driver installed on this system"
- sndconfig, while trying to play wav file shows:
"modprobe error. The following error occured running the modprobe
program: /lib/modules/../../drivers/sound/sb.o.gz init_module: No such
device,
/lib/modules/../../drivers/sound/sb.o.gz insmod
/lib/modules/../../drivers/sound/sb.o.gz failed
/lib/modules/../../drivers/sound/sb.o.gz insmod sound slot 0 failed"
I've checked that this :/lib/module... etc directory exists,"
So I don't know what can I do now? Did I make error running ./snddevices
script although I've DevFS installed.
And there is no sound now, even through aRts in KDE. ;-(
P.S. I hope that I will be enough patient to properly configure Linux
and abandon Bill G. Windows.
Regards
--
LeHardi