On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Christer Kaivo-oja wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm having weird problems with the ALSA drivers. I'm Running linux-2.5.5 with
> beta11 drivers for an ISA SB AWE32  (isapnp support).
>
> First, I only got repeating noise (random clicks and stuff) which implied an
> IRQ problem as well as the more obvious erronous data problem..
> Then, after doing non-alsa-related things for a while(*), it suddenly went
> silent. I played around with amixer and *cheer* the sound worked.. Then I
> unloaded the modules and tried to modprobe them again, which resulted in the
> "silent mode" again. No matter what I do with amixer, there's no sound at
> all...

There is a strange error in 2.5.5 and beta11. It is fixed in beta12 (and -
hopefully - the fix will be available in next 2.5.6pre1 release). You can
download the latest patch against 2.5.5 at:

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/kernel-patches/alsa-2002-02-26-1-linux-2.5.5.patch.gz

                                                Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer