On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> > > P.S. What about Yamaha/Intel 753 chip that is found in the Toshiba
> > > Satellite 5005's?
> > All yamaha 75x should be supported with the alsa 'ymfpci' driver.
> Yes, but does it include hardware mixing?

Yes it does.

> So my question is since this problem of not being able to open /dev/dsp
> (or audio or whatever you desire to call it) more than once (i.e. only
> one app can "hog" the audio at one time) is the case with most of the
> Linux audio hardware, why is there no solution as of yet to have a
> kernel-implemented software mixing of multiple audio streams, so that
> the soundcard can be queued from multiple apps/processes?

Because kernelspace is the wrong place to do audio mixing. IIRC the
problem was solved by userspace libraries and LD_PRELOAD which intercept
calls from badly-behaved-oss-applications and manage mixing in userspace.
Although I haven't tried this yet.

> *There is esd, which is outdated and simply crappy.
> *There is artsd, which is better, but not good enough, and again, the
> app must be made to be aware of it in order to utilize it.
> *There is JACK project which has a huge potential but none of its
> effects are again universal, nor backwards-compatible with already
> released software.
> *There is Gstreamer, but I do not honestly know enough about it.

Then make them better.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]