Thanks for the reply. I found the problem after reading the code (imagine
that!). The error I was getting was coming from a function called
init_module. On inspecting the code, I found that this routine is only
invoked from isapnp. Since my sound card isn't isapnp, I'm a little
confused why it was being invoked. Further, as mentioned before, it only
failed on modprobe'ing the second card. Sounds like a bug to me.

At any rate, to fix my problem I reconfigured with isapnp=no in addition
to my original configure options, built it, and all loaded fine.

Bill