Try this:

cd /usr/src
ls

# here you should have a directory called linux-2.4.9-31
# if you don't you need to get the full source package from redhat's ftp
site. Otherwise, you want to symlink as follows:

ln -s linux-2.4.9-13 linux-2.4  #
ln -s linux-2.4 linux
cd back to your alsa directory, remove config.cache if it exists and try
the configure again.

HTH,
Bill