Hi,

thank you for your response. I have read about the looping problem that this
could be caused by some IRQ/DMA problem. Here is the output from /rpoc:

cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:      99385          XT-PIC  timer
  1:          6          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:     0      XT-PIC VIA686A
 10:       4555          XT-PIC  eth0, usb-uhci, usb-uhci
 12:          6          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      11260          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          9          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

the problem with the bios is, that with this brand new HP notebook, one
cannot do any changes to the bios. The bios setup program lets one set the
date and booting device and that's it!
There must be a way around this, but I don't know how at the moment.
So I don't know whether there is the option PnP Bios installed.
Speaking of interrupts, how does one change those if not in the bios?

Thanks for your help,

Hauke

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:27:32 +0100
>
> Hauke Busch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > I have a problem with an AC97 soundchip on a HP XT1000 laptop. When ever
> > I try to play a sound, it loops endlessly.
>
> Seems an IRQ problem. What's the output of 'cat /proc/interrupts' ?
>
> >  I have to manually kill aplay or
> > xmms to stop the output. This behaviour also occurs when modprobing the
> > via82cxxx kernel sound module and sending some output to the device.
> > I have seen this problem in other posts with other cards, but I have no
> > idea how to solve this.
>
> Might be a BIOS settings problem: is the option "PNP OS installed" set to
> no?
>
> > The PCI bus gives me:
> >  lspci -vv
> > 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
> > Controller (rev 40)
> >         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 0020
> >         Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> > ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> >
> > I am using a 2.4.16 kernel from SUSE and their precompiled alsa rpms
> > version 0.5.11.
> >
> > Has anybody experienced the same problems?
> >
> > Thank you for your help!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Hauke
>
> HTH ;)