Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> At the end 'make install' fails on my system with:

> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/frans/alsa-driver-0.9.0beta12/synth/emux'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/frans/alsa-driver-0.9.0beta12/synth'
> /sbin/depmod -a -F /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/build/System.map 2.4.18-6mdk
> depmod: Can't read /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/build/System.map
> make: *** [install-modules] Error 1
>
> Reading 'man depmod' and searching for the -F option it seems System.map
> isn't located where ALSA expects it :(

Several things...

-I think the System.map for the currently running kernel must be in
/boot/ for the system to boot. (I think...)

-The build/ directory under /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ is a symlink to
/usr/src/linux/

-Alsa expects the kernel compile to leave a copy of System.map in
/usr/src/linux/

So when my kernel compilation doesn't leave System.map in
/usr/src/linux/ I do:

cd /usr/src/linux
ln -s /boot/Sytem.map-`uname -r` System.map

I thereby avoid the depmod error above when building alsa.

There seem to be a bunch of things messed up lately regarding the kernel
and compiling alsa that have required a number of ugly hacks like this.

Are we users missing something?

or has something in the kernel compilation changed with recent versions?

or has alsa started doing some things differently in recent versions
with regard to where the build process looks for various files?

-Eric