On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> Hmm.. this makes me think how to create "virtual channels" but maybe I'll
> just believe you and stop whining about this and buy better soundcard :)
>

> > the most easiest way would be
> > to improve aserver, i think. i forget to mention that it is also possible
> > to use the plugins with the oss-emulation, you only have to call the
> > plugin 'dsp0' than it is usable by oss-apps too.
> >

> So.. at least first solution would be to write some kind of shared-access
> plugin.

no first solution would be to improve aserver. i thought about it a bit
again, and i really think now that implementing something like an shared
access into alsa-core would like a complete rewrite. its also ok that alsa
has a clean write and read mechanism, its not an easy task like on other
devices, cause you have the timing problems, you have to ommit
buffer-under- and over-flows etc.
its easier to implement and maintain network stuff in an
userspace daemon, if you would put all in alsa-core it would be really an
overkill. you have not more overhead with an userspace daemon as it would
be residing in alsa-core, its the same with the advance that who dont need
it, doesnt have to start it.
at least as you can handle aserver as a plugin its also usable by oss-apps
too.

_____
joy