>From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Garrick Sitongia wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but that is not the problem. I can do a "./configure" or a
>"./configure
> > --with-cards=via8233", then do a "make" or a "make install", and then
> >
> > [root@ip68-6-63-135 alsa-driver-0.9.0beta12]# modprobe snd-via8233
> > modprobe: Can't locate module snd-via8233
>
>Can you show us your /etc/modules.conf?

This is partly from a past alsa on prior distribution, I copied and edited
the lines into the new /etc/modules.conf

alias autofs autofs4
alias usb-interface usb-uhci
probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
alias eth0 tulip
above snd-card-via8233 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via8233
alias char-major-116 snd

> > There is no "snd-via8233.o" in the alsa-driver tree, or in
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/misc/
>
>I compiled the drivers without giving any flags to configure, so all the
>modules were built. On my system the driver you're looking for ended up
>here:
>
>/lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel/sound/pci/snd-via8233.o
>
>Do you have a path like that under /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ ?

I compiled a second time without flags, and there is no "pci/" subdir:

[root@ip68-6-63-135 sound]# pwd
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/sound
[root@ip68-6-63-135 sound]# ls
acore/  drivers/  i2c/  isa/  synth/
[root@ip68-6-63-135 sound]#

snd-via8233.o is not in any subdirectory. It seems to be ignoring pci sound
cards. If I could debug the things that are done during compile, I would
figure this out on my own, but I know it would take days....

Garrick

> > I do a "find . -name "*.o" -print" and do not see anything "via8233",
> > although lots of isa cards are there. There is a
>alsa-kernel/pci/via8233.c
>
>I think that the "." in your find command is telling find to only search
>the current directory....I'm not sure about that, or if that's what you
>meant to do or not. just an observation.

My find searches recursively subdirectories from "."

Garrick