At a minimum, you need to use sbiload (found in the alsa/tools/seq
directory) to load the sound definitions. You can find instructions here:
 http://www.parabola.demon.co.uk/alsa/pmidi.htm. The reason I say minimum,
is that I have a similar setup (AOpen YMF-744), and haven't yet gotten it
to work. I've been using timidity as a alsa seq driver, which probably
sounds better anyway.

Bill