Hello!

I up/downgraded my "old" Linux Mandrake 8.0 to newer RedHat 7.3 In RH
there is no build in ALSA support. Unfortunate, I have soundcard, that
requiers ALSA support (even RH suggsest to use that). Well, then. I
downloaded latest tarballs (bz2balls ;) and made all that cool configure
and make voodoo. Then I make a little more voodoo: modprobe snd-fm801
and manually editing modules.conf Then all things look fine. At first,
ogg123 and mpg123 did not complain about misssing sound driver. But
sound is muted. I built also lib and tools pakage and installed them.
But when I try to change volume/unmute with alsamixer or amixer, they
both crash at the same place. I placed error message ripped from
/var/log/messages to attachment. Looking through messages I found some
errors: modprobe: can't locate snd-card-1 ... snd-card-3. And Using
'aslasound start' it sees can't find /proc/asound/* No such file or
dir... I looked and it wosn't there.  After adding basic lines
(char-*-116) in modules.conf, that error dissapeared, but now mpg123 and
ogg123 generates kernel panic:Aiee, killing interrupt handler.

Ppl, who use fm801 soundcard, can you send me examples of your
modules.conf file and/or give some guildelines, how to set it up.