On Thursday, Aug 22, 2002, at 01:58 Australia/Sydney, Nate Carlson
wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Jeremy Higgs wrote:
>> That seemed to work for alsaplayer... however, when playing an MP3
>> which
>> sounds fine through XMMS, the sound was fuzzy (I turned down the
>> levels
>> in alsamixer to around 90, but it was still terrible). It plays
>> though... but only through the normal stereo (RCA?) plugs, and not the
>> optical, which is what I want.
>>
>> Is there something else I need to enable to get this working?
>
> You need to unmute the optical out. It shows up as a device with no
> volume
> controls or anything, all you can do is mute/unmute it.

How do I do that? It's been a while since I've fiddled around with the
settings...

Looking at amixer, I can see:

Simple mixer control 'IEC 958 Input',0
   Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
   Limits: 0 - 32767
   Mono: 32767 [100%]
   Front Left: Playback [off]
   Front Right: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC 958 Output',0
   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Mono: Playback [off]

Would IEC 958 Output be the SPDIF output? How would I unmute it, as
well as make it stereo (or enable more channels...)?

Thanks!