There should be created a misc dir during compile,
wher the modules are placed. Since u have upgraded
your kernel its not sure it finds the right
system.map. Try this:Replace the kernel version with
yours

normaly /usr/src/linux is one link, so make sure that
link,links to your kernel source code in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-5

ln -s /boot/System.map-2.4.18-3 System.map

or edit Makefile and where you find one line with
/sbin/depmod
change to /sbin/depmod -a -F /boot/System.map-2.4.18-3
2.4.18-3

you just have to make sure when you are useing depmod
your are
pointed to the correct System.map

after this
run make install again

 --- Micael Beronius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
skrev: >
> OK, so I have tried this. And it is still the same.
>
> I also downloaded the un-patched vanilla kernel,
> 2.4.19, and are
> running of that now. Still the same... :-(
>
> I must be doing something really wrong. I do exactly
> this :
>
> downloaded the complete alsa cvs tree. (yesterday)
> I go into the alsa-driver directory, and
> ./configure --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-2.4.19
> --with-cards=cmipci
> --with-moddir=/lib/modules/2.4.19/misc
>
> I then typed ./cvscompile with the same options as
> above, I guess that
> the configure step is not necessary when using
> cvscompile, but just to
> be sure I did it.
>
> (there where no misc directory, so I created one
> just to see if
> anything ended up here; *it did not*)
>
> So the driver has been built, no errors, even if it
> (snd-cmipci.o)
> stayed in the alsa-driver source tree.
>

> The conclusion for me, is that the driver where
> built without problem,
> so next I go for alsa-lib:
>
> cd into alsa-lib.
> ./configure --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-2.4.19
>
> I then get only one real error (?);
> "checking for kernel header files... directory

/lib/modules//usr/src/linux-2.4.19/build/include/sound