Title: Multichannel Audio

Hello,

I'm in desperate need of getting multichannel audio out of a linux box for a project I'm working on.
I have a Hercules Fortissimo III card, and Mandrake 9.0 installed. Is there any hope... aplay -D anything
bails with messages like:

ALSA lib pcm.c:1625:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type for PCM front definition (id: front, value: cards.pcm.front)

OSS output to 6 channels gives me the front two channels on (all/some depending on mixer settings) speakers.

I'm quite happy to grab whatever config info that's needed in order to diagnose things, but I'm not entirely sure what
I *should* be providing. Ideally I'd like to be able to output 5.1 through both the optical and analog outputs.

Best Regards,
Craig