I am having fun getting the onboard sound on my recent Gigabyte GA-7VKML
mobo working.

The mobo has a VIA VT8233A southbridge, and a Realtek "AC'97" ALC101
codec.  I think earlier revisions of this board have a different codec
chip because references to it in the mobo manual are in a loose  erata
sheet.

I want to get this working, and I thought I'd ask here if anyone has a
similar combination working, before I go ahead and try myself with alsa.
How do I get this combo going?

Initially I tried with the 2.4 kernel drivers (oss?) with varing levels
of failure.  On earlier kernels the via82cxxx_audio module will load and
produce no sound, on later kernels it won't even load.

I found a patch on lkml for the Realtek ACLXXX codecs, but it was
talking about an ALi5451 chipset.  I don't know the significance of the
chipset.  I tried the patch, but it didn't help. (Although I realise I
haven't completely tested it yet.  I might go back and do this again.)

Then I thought I would try ALSA.  If there is work to be done to get
this going, I'd rather contribure to ALSA.  However, I'm a beginner and
I need some guidance so I don't waste my time.

Can anyone point me to some documentation for what follows?  What
exactly is AC'97?  What does the codec do?  What part does the 8233 chip
play in the sound system (if any)?  Is it likely that a driver just
needs to be teaked for this combination, or will a new driver need to be
written (or does ALSA support it already?)

TIA,

Alex