I don't like to reply on my own post, but I have found what appears to be the
problem.

I wrote:

> I'm having problems rebuilding the kdemultimedia-3.0.3-4 package to
> include alsa support.
>
> Normally I would install the source RPM, edit the kdemultimedia.spec file
> and let the build run.  Having done that many times so far, and also having
> tried just untarring the source tar archive and manually running the
configure,
> I have had no luck.

(60 or so lines cut out)

Going through the code, it is pretty clear from the #define's which ARE defined
in 0.5.x but not in 0.9.x, the package is intended for alsa-0.5.x; it probably
won't work with 0.9.x ...

So it isn't RedHat, but rather a diff between 0.5.x and 0.9.x ...

I'll take a look at hacking in the differences and see what happens; but I'm not
real hopeful at the moment.

Anybody know who the maintainer for kdemultimedia is?

BTW, if Michael George would write me again off-list, I'd appreciate it: bad
return address and I (apparently) can't answer directly.

Bill Austin