Steve Fulton wrote:

Hi all,

I'm the IT person at a small college radio station, and we're looking to get streaming going. I have a preference for all this unix, so I chose to build a linux box out of donated equipment. The sound card we're using is a SB Live with a LiveDrive. I'm not very familiar with it, truth be told, and I've had a lot of difficulty getting it working. I decided to use the ALSA drivers because of the good reviews I've seen elsewhere, and my experience with CB's emu10k1 driver off of SoundForge was rather miserable.

Onto the point: We're inputting our broadcast via the SPDIF RCA input on the LiveDrive. The streaming software I'm using (DarkIce) is reading from the device (/dev/dsp) [I'm not certain that's the right device in this particular case, but that's what the DarkIce docs say to use]. The drivers load fine, DarkIce loads fine, but we don't get any sound.

I've used amixer to set the device to record (I think), using this command line:

amixer -c 0 sset "Line LiveDrive",0 90%,90% rec

But we still don't get any sound. I've also tried switching to "LineDrive",1 instead, no luck. Here's the output from that command:

Simple mixer control 'Line LiveDrive',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 90 [90%] Capture 90 [90%] [on]
Front Right: Playback 90 [90%] Capture 90 [90%] [on]

I'm getting pretty frustrated, so if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

-- Steve
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
I have no idea what that card is.
Run "amixer" from a command line and tell me what it says.
Maybe all channels are muted.