same problem for me and my DMX XFire 1024 :-(.
I think the distortion sounds like a DC offset introduced by the PCM
channel. Do you also get popping noise when changing the PCM volume? It
just sounds like changing the supply voltage of a running amplifier for
me. Perhaps I can measure the DC level before the output capacitors or
--perhaps even better-- at the input stage of the output amps? (But I
don't know if the DAC used on this card can output DC voltage and if the
LM386 amps are AC or DC coupled. I'll have to find a screwdriver and
some time first.)

Not only the PCM sound is distorted, but everything that goes through
the mixer, I think. If you lower the PCM volume and playback e.g. a CD
through the CD input of the card, then the quality is OK.
This seems to be a problem with the XFire only, as none of the other
cs46xx users has reported this problem. Perhaps it has something to do
with the audio codec (the XFire uses one codec for 4 channels, other
cs46xx use two codecs for this)? Or some GPIO?

Is the sound from that comes from the SPDIF interface OK ?
Just would try to understand if the problem is digital, DSP related issue,
or something analog, CODEC related ...

Most soundcard got some kind of "amplifier", that possibly is controlled
by some GPIO, like the case of Santa Cruz, and Hercules GTXP.
If Terratec wont release and technical specifications about the card,
then you can try to play with the EPGIO hack in the cs46xx driver (compile alsa
defining the CONFIG_SND_CS46XX_DEBUG_GPIO option) and try find out
if any of the EGPIO0-7 can solve the problem.

/Benny