On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 01:57, Rick Dier wrote:
> I've been fighting with RedHat 8.0 for a couple of weeks
> now. I still can't have sound.
> 1-Linux detects a CS-4610 which cannot play any sound
> 2- I compiled from source and failed with the "lib" Alsa-
> 0.9.0rc5
> 3- I tried the rpm and received "cs-4236+ doesn't exist or
> is busy" in 'dmesg' in response to modprobe
> 4- on IBM website, it's stated that my sound card is "cs-
> 4239" on my windows boot I see "crystal sound VDM
> accelerator".
>
> What should I do from now?

I have been trying to get my soundcard working in ALSA, but I've failed
miserably a few times already. I installed the RPMS from
psyche.freshrpms.net, but whenever I try to load the snd-cs46xx module,
it tells me it can't find the card. What caught my attention is that
/proc/pci tells me my soundcard is on IRQ 11, which isn't right at all!
I think the snd-cs46xx module simply assumes this information to be
correct, and I don't seem to be able to tell the module the correct IRQ.

I even start to believe that the /proc/pci information for my soundcard
is terribly incorrect, since I even doubt that this laptop's soundcard
can do hardware mixing.

The line(s) that show my soundcard in /proc/pci read:
   Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11 [CrystalClear
SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 1).
      IRQ 11.

With OSS, I use the module cs4232 which works great. I use this line in
/etc/modules.conf to load the driver:
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0

This works great, except for the fact that I can't do hardware mixing,
which the ALSA soundcard matrix claims it should be able to (with the
ALSA driver).

So if anyone could confirm that the information of my soundcard in
/proc/pci is incorrect, I can sleep well again... Otherwise I'd really
like to know how to get this working! :)

Cheers,
Richard.