Hi, everyone -

I'm running Debian's testing distribution with the 2.4.19 kernel on an ABIT SR7-8X. The motherboard has an on-board SiS 7012 audio controller. From lspci:

00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)

I'm having some trouble getting sound to work. When I stop the alsa driver using "/etc/init.d/alsa force-stop", it tells me alsa wasn't running. When I start it using /etc/init.d/alsa start", it doesn't complain at all. However, "ls /proc/asound" shows that there's no /proc/asound, and alsamixer dies while trying to open the devices in /proc/asound/dev.

First off, here's a very basic question: does the alsa snd-card-intel8x0 module completely replace the kernel i810_audio module, or does it require the kernel module to also be loaded?

thanks very much,
Jeff