Completely remove old modules in this directory by
typing
rm -rf /lib/modules/(your kernel version)/misc

> Compile the driver with these options.
> --with-kernel=(your kernel source dir path)
--with-moddir=/lib/modules/(your kernel version)/misc
> --with-cards=(youur sound card chipset name)
type ./configure --help to see the
> rest of the options. And while you are in the driver
> dir type ./snddevices
Compile alsa-libs with the
> kernel option above. No options are needed on alsa
> utils. Edit modules.conf (look at examples in
> google.com) Then modprobe soundcore, modprobe
snd-(your card chipset name)
> start alsasound. IE redhat
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start .Unmute the
> alsamixer./usr/bin/alsamixer

And since u have recompiled your kernel you must copy System.map-2.4.19 from the boot dir to your linux source dir,

and make a sym link from /boot/System.map-2.4.19 to System.map on your linux source.

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

UPDATE:
I managed to recompile the kernel with a clean 'soundcore'. The ALSA
software still doesn't work, with the same behavior as detailed in SYMPTOMS
below.

SYSTEM:
Linux Red Hat 8.0 (original kernel 2.4.18) on a D815EEA board with integrated
audio, Creative ES1373.
After I upgraded the kernel to 2.4.19, the system works OK and I decided to
install ANSA Driver 0.5.12a, Lib 0.5.10b, Utils 0.5.10. The installation went
OK as well. The set up I'm using is for snd-ens1371.

SYMPTOMS:
'alsactl': "No soundcards found..."
'amixer': "The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system"
'alsamixer': "failed to open mixer #0/#0: no such file or directory"
Missing (never installed?): '/etc/asound.conf' and '/etc/alsa.d/'

I'm mystified. Any ideas?.

Thanks,
-- Alex