I finally have alsa working on my RedHat 7.3 box.  Thanks for your help.

Kernel 2.4.18-18.7.x and alsa rc6.  Straight forward, no hitches, well done
to the alsa team.

I have compiled the oss emulation but I'm not sure how to get things like
kmix and play to work.  They complain about /dev/dsp not being there but
there is a link to /dev/dsp0.  I tried aoss in front of play and that didn't
make any difference.  I also tried to modprobe snd-pcm1-oss (from a 1999
howto) and that module doesn't appear to exist.

Cheers