Ashish Agarwal wrote:

Hi Alsa gurus,

I am struggling in setting the sound driver for my onboard sound chipset
on p4pe

I was told to use alsa and compile the driver intel8x0. I have
downloaded the latest
version from tehweb site version 0.9 x

i have followed tehfollowing steps :

1. ./configure
2. ./make install
3. ./snddevices
4. modified the /etc/modules.conf to include
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

( some of the posts suggests using snd-card-intel8x0 but when i try
that my /sbin/probemod snd-card-intel8x0 failes withmessage no such
module)

5. /sbin/probemod snd-intel8x0
i dont get any output to i assume its loaded correctly

6. i unmuted using
amixer set Master 100 unmute
amixer set PCM 100 unmute

7. tried playing cds no luck...

what am i doing wrong ???

I have also noted that i dont find the file othe rpeople post :
/proc/asound/sndstat . its missing.
any help in troubleshooting will be highly appreciated!

Run the command "alsamixer" and unmute everything you see.
Note: things will be muted again if you reboot.