Hello,
        I'm trying to get alsa working on a Dell Latitude laptop with
CS4237B sound.  I am using the latest alsa rpms from freshrpms.net
on RedHat8.0.  I have got to the stage where I can hear CD playback
and my terminal bell, but neither OSS nor ALSA playback works.
I have un-muted everything using alsamixer, and I can hear pops when
I mute and un-mute.  When I try aplay, I get lots of xruns and no
sound.  When I try ogg123 (OSS) I just get no sound (I have OSS
emulation enabled).

I have included every detail I could think of below:

When I do aplay -v busy_child.wav it says:
Playing WAVE 'busy_child.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100
Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Hardware PCM card 0 'CS4237B' device 0 subdevice -1

Its setup is:
stream       : PLAYBACK
access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
format       : S16_LE
subformat    : STD
channels     : 2
rate         : 44100
exact rate   : 44100 (1058400/24)
msbits       : 16
buffer_size  : 16384
period_size  : 4096
period_time  : 92879
tick_time    : 10000
tstamp_mode  : NONE
period_step  : 1
sleep_min    : 0
avail_min    : 4096
xfer_align   : 4096
start_threshold  : 16384
stop_threshold   : 16384
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary     : 1073741824
xrun!!! (at least 0.209 ms long)
state       : XRUN
trigger_time: 1040293477.824732
tstamp      : 1040293477.824869
delay       : 0
avail       : 16384
avail_max   : 16384
xrun!!! (at least 0.139 ms long)

My /etc/modules.conf is:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
# module options should go here
options snd-cs4236 port=0x530 cport=0x210 mpu_port=0x220 fm_port=0x388 irq=5 mpu_irq=7
dma1=1 dma2=0 isapnp=0

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

cat /proc/asound/cards:
0 [CS4237B        ]: CS4237B - CS4237B
                     CS4237B at 0x530, irq 5, dma 1&0

If anybody has any ideas what's going wrong I'd be very happy to hear
them.

Best wishes,
                Bill.
--
Dr. William Bland.                          Computer Programmer, UK.
www.abstractnonsense.com