Clemens Ladisch wrote:

Richard Shann wrote:

I've now downloaded and built iiwusynth, but I get
iiwusynth: error: Error opening ALSA raw MIDI port

do I need to set the -M option of iiwusynth to something - if so what?

It seems iiwusynth tries to read MIDI data from a raw MIDI port, but you
want it to run as an ALSA sequencer client.
Try "-m alsa_seq -a alsa".

I've tried this and iiwusynth now starts up:

iiwusynth: debug: Using alsa audio driver
iiwusynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the audio output
iiwusynth: debug: Using alsa_seq MIDI driver
iiwusynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the MIDI input

and hangs round waiting, I suppose, for input. It is hogging the audio output alright because I no longer get audible output from timidity, and kmidi says that /dev/dsp is busy.

However Rosegarden still says "sequencer exited" and "AudioPluginManager::fetchSampleRate - couldn't fetch sample rate".
I've been wondering if it is my /etc/modules.conf that's at fault. Should it have something like

alias sound-service-0-2 <some module or other>

to provide service #2 (I gather this is midi) for soundcard 0? I've tried to load snd-seq-midi.o using modprobe but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Thank you very much for your patience!

Richard

ps the relevant bit of modules.conf is currently - I notice there are two entries for char-major-14, is that right?

alias char-major-116 snd
options snd major=116 cards_limit=2
#--- Via8233 -------------------------------
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=0 id="Via8233"
# Configure card 1 (second card) as a virtual MIDI card
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias snd-card-1 snd-virmidi
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0