Hi,
I have an HP Omnibook vt6200 with an Ali5451.
Alsa compiles fine, and the modules loads ok. But
sound does not work. aplay produces no sound at all,
and after a while it returns with I/O Error (and yes,
it is unmuted).
Funny enough, the IRQ Linux detects (IRQ 7) is not the
same IRQ windows detects. Under windows the audio
adapter WDM is seen as IRQ 11. IRQ 7 is, under
windows, seen as USB adapter.

Here is what alsa says:
# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version
0.9.0rc7.
Compiled on Feb  6 2003 for kernel 2.4.18 with
versioned symbols.
# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [5451           ]: ALI5451 - ALI 5451
                     ALI 5451 at 0x1000, irq 7
# lspci -v
00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: Acer Laboratories
Inc. [ALi] M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device
(rev 02)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device
0027
        I/O ports at 1000 [size=256]
        Memory at e0001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=4K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

Any idea what I could try?
I have tryed commercial OSS as well, no luck.

giorgio