Hi,

> hmm, please show which cards and drivers are you using?
> it might be not due to the usb but to other stuffs.

I have:

Terratec X-Fire 1024 with cs46xx
Onboard sound on my Asus A7M266-D with cmipci
Edirol UM-2 USB Midi with usb-audio

The relevant /proc/pci outputs are:

Bus  2, device   6, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear
SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 1).
      IRQ 17.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=24.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xea000000 [0xea000fff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe9800000 [0xe98fffff].

  Bus  2, device   4, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 16).
      IRQ 17.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=24.
      I/O at 0xc800 [0xc8ff].

I tried:

Card 1: Terratec
Card 2: Onboard
Card 3: Midi
- -> doesn't work

Card 1: Terratec
Card 2: Midi
- -> works

Card 1: Midi
Card 2: Terratec
Card 3: Onboard
- -> works

Card 1: Onbard
Card 2: Midi
- -> works

The Problem is that I regularily use the Terratec and onboard Sound and
eventually I would like to load the midi interface with hotplug scripts. That
way it would end up as 3rd device.

I'm running Gentoo Linux. As default it uses the alsa RC6 drivers. Explicitly
emerging RC7 makes no difference though.

I'll try the uniprocessor kernel later.

If there is anything else you need, just tell me.

Thanks,

Richard