So I got my rme9652 withasla 0.9.0rc7 running. Got Jack on top of that. Can
route around sound with qjackconnect and can see there is activity with
meterbridge.

May I conclude that my setup is OK?

Playback:

I tried alsaplayer with some ripped cd tracks (used cdparanoia). It always
says the files are 0bit and zips through them in record speed, sounding like
a chirp on the speakers. When I try audacity, the same files play fine.
Ecasound hangs the system with only the reset button helping. Muse works as
long as you stay out of wave edit mode.

Record:

Not a single application works. Audacity records, but cannot open the saved
wav files. Muse chrashes whenever you hit the record button. Ecasound
produces nothing but error messages.

Does anybody has knowledge of an application that works natively with alsa
and/or jack? Most of the applications on the alsa page use the oss emulation.
Something that does not need a degree in programming science, that you can
install simply (unlike ardour: I don't understand half of what is on the page
where they tell you how to install it) and where you can just select the
input you need, bit depth and sample rate and hit record. Where you have a
running chance of having something on your disk afterwards.

Thanks in advance.