On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 10:32, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > To me, this sounds like the perfect way to solve the current esd/arts
> > nightmare. Are there any latency or CPU gotchas compared to esd/arts?
>
> The "mixing" code for one task takes around 1% of CPU time for the 48kHz
> stream on 850Mhz PIII CPU. Latency is same as for direct exlusive
> playback.

Are there any plans on making the dmix plugin the default alsa
interface?  Since most soundcards don't support hardware mixing it seems
like most people would love this as a default choice.  I suppose it
would be ideal if the oss emulation could also be piped through dmix.
Unfortunately, I have yet to make any of my alsa-enabled apps work with
dmix.  But I'm still excited! :)

Thanks,
-Brad