Greetings,

So there I was, happily watching DVDs. I saw that Ogle and dvdread and alsa
got upgraded so I said, "weehee, let's upgrade!" It appears that was a
mistake.

Now I've got no sound at all. No bells, no music, no Linus telling me how he
pronounces Linux.  After some hours of making, remaking, remaking kernels and
drivers again, but not shouting or cussing because my computer is a girl and
girls don't like that, or at least that's what my wife tells me, I ran
alsaconf and got this:

Starting sound driver: snd-via82xx Warning: ignoring snd_major=116, no such
para
meter in this module
Warning: ignoring snd_cards_limit=1, no such parameter in this module
Warning: ignoring snd_device_mode=0666, no such parameter in this module
Module snd loaded, with warnings
Module snd-seq-device loaded, with warnings
Module snd-rawmidi loaded, with warnings
Module snd-mpu401-uart loaded, with warnings
Module snd-ac97-codec loaded, with warnings
Module snd-timer loaded, with warnings
Module snd-pcm loaded, with warnings
Warning: ignoring snd_index=0, no such parameter in this module
Module snd-via82xx loaded, with warnings
done
Setting default volumes..

Ok, so do these matter for me? Is this perhaps a clue why I have no sound? Oh,
don't tell me to check whether my mixer volume is at the default-level of 0,
it certain is not! (I fell prey to that once before).

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me along here. Please
let me know what other information you need to know. rc6 worked wonderfully
for me until just two days again, then it quit after a reboot. Poof.  And
I've been soundless since. :(

Thanks
Ben
Listening only to his CPU fan.