Hello,

I've installed debian and it's alsa packages just fine on my Via EPIA
mainboard, and configured it according to the instructions from the alsa
website. I have intermittent distortion when using the PCM. About 80% of
the time when I use mpg123 to play tunes, there is a crackling distortion.
It varies in intensity from attempt to attempt. Occasionally it is
absolutely crystal clear. The distortion never comes and goes within a
particular command.

I've tried using xmms to play the MP3's, and if the distortion is there
for one tune, it is there for all tunes for the entire session. If it
isn't there, then it will be fine until I quit xmms and start again.

Does anybody have any ideas about this.. I can send further information on
my configuration if necessary.. I've tacked on my modules etc below.

Iain

[EMAIL PROTECTED]: lspci -v -v -v
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 50)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device aa01
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ lsmod
snd-seq-oss            23616   0 (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event      2824   0 [snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq                36460   2 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-seq-device          3920   0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq]
snd-pcm-oss            35328   0
snd-mixer-oss           9088   0 [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-via8233             4800   0
snd-pcm                47808   0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-via8233]
snd-timer              10080   0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         22240   0 [snd-via8233]
snd                    25032   0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq
snd-seq-device snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-via8233 snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-ac97-codec]
soundcore               3492   5 [snd]
ds                      6720   1
i82365                 22416   1
pcmcia_core            41408   0 [ds i82365]