At 12 Mar 2003 00:08:25 +0100,
Z_God wrote:

> Are you sure my onboard audio doesn't have a second channel?
> I'm almost certain I had disabled the virtual mixer. Also the volume
> slider appeared on the same device as the Via686, the virtual mixer
> normally has its own mixer device.
> Also they seem to be talking about it here:
> http://www.kernelnewbies.org/documents/kdoc/via-audio/notes.html
> (The manual of the kernel driver for the Via686.)

no, it's not for a usual pcm playback.
as in mentioned in the page above:

    The Via audio chip apparently provides a second PCM scatter-gather
  DMA channel just for FM data, but does not have a full hardware MIDI
  processor.

> Also, is there any reason the dmix plugin isn't used by default or do I
> need to upgrade my ALSA drivers to be able to use the dmix plugin?

because some hardwares really support multiple playbacks.
they don't need apparently dmix.  also, dmix is fairly new.

> Will
> it be possible have serperate volume controls with the dmix plugin?

no.

Takashi