I have been using alsa for some time, and I have a problem, and to solve that I
will probably have to get a new sound card.

I have a Soundblaster Live 2.1, and had not had any serious problems until
recently when I got a new machine.  Previously I had been able to load some very
large sound font files into this card with sfxload (we are talking 125+ Mb of
files here) and everthing worked without a whimper.

My wife composes, and the ability to load the above sound fonts is _extremely_
important.

However, due to some upcoming work schedule changes, I will be working fairly
late for the next few months.  Now normally I play music (MP3's, cd's) when
working, but soundproofing is a problem here and I will have to go the headphone
route.  (But I've been using 4 speakers + subwoofer for a while, and would still
like to maintain this ability with whatever solution I find.)

I had thought of perhaps getting an Audigy platinum (with the easy headphone
access) but ONLY IF it supports soundfont loading/usage better than the SBlive!
does  (I already know it will support the 4 speakers + subwoofer setup).

But in reading both the devel and user lists, and in searching through the
archives, I have not been able to tell whether the audigy handles the soundfont
problem any better than the live! does.

So my question is, does the Audigy do a better job of handling the loading of
soundfonts, or is it likely to have the same problem?  Failing that, what other
cards offer the capabilities I have mentioned above (large soundfont handling,
front/rear channels, headphone capabilities, not extremely expensive)?

I am running redhat 8.0, kernel-2.4.18-26.8.0 with an Athlon xp2100+ & 1GB of
pc2700 memory; MB is a gigabyte GA-7VAX (the integrated sound on the MB is
disabled).

ANY help on answering the above questions would be _greatly_ appreciated (feel
free to write me off-list if you'd prefer).

Thanks in advance

--
William W. Austin                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       "Life is just a phase I'm going through... this time, anyway..."