What does your modules.conf look like? It should have some entries similar
to these

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

alias midi snd-emu10k1-synth
below snd-seq-oss snd-emu10k1-synth
above snd-card-0 snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-oss snd-pcm-oss
post-install snd-mixer-oss /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
alias /dev/sequencer snd-seq-oss

You need to make sure at least snd-seq-oss module is loaded and
snd-emu10k1-synth As well as the snd-emu10k1 module

Then try loading your sound fonts. It won't say anything on success I
think.
Then use something such as pmidi to test it like pmidi -p 65:0
yourfile.mid should play out your speakers

David